We are officially a bi-coastal family at least for the week or so. (Can't wait till we're all together here!)"Q" and I have taken up residence at 840 Meridian Way, apt 102. The apartment has two bedrooms, two baths, living room, dining room, kitchen and deck. There are exciting new things like a dish washer, finally!
The apartment is part of a larger complex that includes laundry facilities, pool, hot tub, work out center etc. I can't really begin to think of this as a home because its all too much like a vacation rental or long term stay apartment compared to what what we've had in NYC.
One to the things that will take a while to get used to is that so many of the homes are landscaped with citrus fruit. I pass houses with oranges, lemons, and grapefruit hanging from their trees. I can't help but wonder if the fruit is edible and what happens when say grapefruit drop
all over your yard? Still I'm endlessly enjoying the view of all this wonderful fruit in the landscape.I guess in a way it is only right that there be some many fruit. As I understanding Silicon Valley was mostly orchards and farms before it was transformed. Many of the streets still pay homage to with names like cherry, prunelands, and fruitland.
It feels like spring here. It's cool and rainy some days and warmer and sunny others. The magnolias are already starting to bloom. Thyme shrubs (yep that's right they're landscaping out here!) are in boom. I'd like to tell you what else but frankly I'm out of my depth since so many of the plants are new to me. I'm looking forward to learning the natural history of a whole new region, and of course feeling like a novice.
I've only had a little time to explore but we live close to the Los Gatos Creek preserve. There is a wonderful long bike trail that leads right up into the foothills. We're about 5-7 minutes from downtown too. I've located some of the basic things we'll need including a school we hope to send Nye to, some parks, grocery store, etc.
I started work on Monday at the Children's Discovery Museum. I have to say I really appreciate the staff, director and pretty much everyone I've met. Their hearts are in the right place and they are aspiring to create wonderful exhibits and programs for the community.

The museum is located next to the Guadelupe river. There is a wonderful bike/nature trail that leads right through downtown San Jose. The museum is a bright purple building (the color of the hills at dusk) that was designed by Ricardo Legoretta who also designed Papalote in Mexico City which we visited last fall. I've been helping out with a new exhibition scheduled to open tomorrow night. It's fun to jump in at the tail end as a laborer.
For now it is mostly "Q" and I in the empty apartment rattling around. Arch, Nye and I have been keeping up to date using Skype. It feels more fun than phone calls. Nye can make faces and a little eye contact. (Who knew video phone calls could be so fun!)
I fly home -- which is to say Brooklyn -- on Valentines day. Can't wait to see my two "guys." Soon enough we will all return to sunny CA!
No comments:
Post a Comment