Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sweat Equity . . .

If we understand the phrase correctly then I believe we've entered the phase. In our case that means we're using yard work as our new work out routine. On a recent Saturday I arranged for a truck load (9 yard of material for those who care) to be delivered to the house. We have the perfect set up for such a delivery. Once the driver had dropped three separate loads (pro-chip mulch, garden soil, and drainage gravel) on the driveway the real work began.

I may or may not have mentioned that in addition to the lovely fruit trees we now own we also have a whole lotta weeds. At first Nye advocated for keeping them just as they were in their natural state. So I did some weed wacking to keep them at bay. But even Nye had to admit that our weeds were not endearing once the thorns, thistles, and other bristly parts came to their fullest.

And so the transformation began . . .
  • First, was a layer of weed cloth and cardboard.
  • Then, a thick layer of pro-chip mulch to squash the weeds . . . we hope :)
  • Finally, container gardens made out of way too thin fencing boards and filled with nice garden soil (temporary solution till the real container gardens can be constructed.)
  • Last, but not least, the plants and seeds.
We're cautiously optimistic as we watch the little lettuce plants come up and squash flower. We've gotten a ridiculously late start but then again we can grow year round out here. Which I have every intention of testing!

Perhaps the sweet and bright spots in our garden so far are the strawberries. I have three native in a mound and they are soooooo happy. Whatever makes them happy makes me happy and we're already planning on extending their bed since their runners are seeking extended turf. The nectarines are starting to ripen up. Arch is eating them green. Not sure how wise that is but I'm okay with waiting till they are a bit softer. The apples are starting to turn red at least in part. Our mystery fruit trees are still a mystery.

At the back of the property where the fig cactus are growing we've put in a new succulent bed. We're hoping those will keep the weeds at bay but I think we may need to consider some native succulent ground cover to supplement and support them.

On impulse a weekend or so back I purchase three plants that are good at attracting hummingbirds. It took me a few days to get around to attacking our solid clay yard. But on Sunday with shovel and crow bar I went at it. I finally managed to get three holes with Archil's help to put the plants into. As I soaked them down to help get them established an Anna's humming bird came by to check out my sparkling water. Once I finished watering she was back to drink from the flowering plants. It was wonderful. We have a new hummingbird feeder, gift of a friend which we'll be putting up soon. They're such lovely creatures!

We're so busy with all the projects that I haven't had any time to take pictures!

Wishing everyone the very best,

Sara, Nye and Archil

No comments:

Post a Comment