Thursday, November 4, 2010

November? Already?

Time flies when you're really, really, really busy.

October was a wonderful blur. We had time to be with family, friends, and to continue our adventures at home. The early part of October I spent in CT and New York. It was wonderful to be back visiting with family, but a little bittersweet that it was so brief. I was especially pleased to see how much improved Mom was. She and I had fun with both our projects and explorations. I just wish I could have gotten some time to see everyone.


The symposium that was the reason for coming to NYC in the first place was definitely a mixed bag. It was a pleasure to be welcomed back to Children's Museum of Manhattan, but the actual "Block Party" organizers needed a few lessons in event facilitation and hosting. The good news is that there were so many great colleagues from all over the country to meet and catch up that it almost made up for the completely lame host crew and their flummoxed timing. Of course they did pay for me to come back east, so . . . I should go much easier on them, right?

After the symposium I had the great pleasure of meeting three lovely young boys - Henry, Oliver, and George. They joined me in Central Park for a walk and a visit to the zoo. (All three young gentlemen were in their mothers bellies when we moved to Cali and this was my first chance to meet them.) It was of course great to get to spend time with Mingting and Abby who I haven't seen for so long as well :-)


Meanwhile back in California . . .

I spent a lot of time this fall preparing for the 01SJ festival events. Zero One or 01 is the big multimedia arts and technology biennial. Artists from around the country and in fact around the world come out to do their installations. Our museum played host to a Luke Jerram piano which myself and other colleagues decorated. We also had a small role in the signature installation called Plug-n-play which was created by the Rockwell Group Lab. Finally, since I know local Ken Eklund (game designer for massive social games like "World Without Oil") through other connections I helped do some game facilitation for Zorops, his project this year. No wonder I didn't have much time to write!

On the home front . . .

Archil has taken a near obsessive interest in crafting a succulent garden. I have to give him credit though because it looks really good. Our bear paw cactus are statue like. Stone plants, hens and chicks, and various ground covers are all wrapped up in a great canvas of rocks and pebbles scavenged from all our trips to the beach, to area parks, and of course the walk home from school. Yep sometimes that kind of focus pays off.

Halloween - Okay so this was our first time having trick or treaters. Wow! We've never lived in a place where kids came to the door before. Not in New York and not here in California. I had no idea how much candy to buy. Like so many other things we're learning about being homeowners all the time. Note to self for next year 8 bags gets you 1/3 the way through the evening . . . so maybe more like 24 bags - yikes!!!

Nye dressed as 'arry Potter this year. We purchased a great Griffendor cape at the thrift shop along with a designer label tie. Combined with his school uniform and some salvage shop glasses and a little "z" of eye liner and a brief wave of the wand and . . . on great costume! Nye and I traveled to the Naglee Park neighborhood where the folks really know how to decorate their houses for the Halloween holiday.

Finally at the end of October Nye participated in his school's walk-a-thon. This year, like last year he walked many laps. This year he completed 50 laps or 10 miles. He would have completed the last 5 laps but the staff was tired of hanging out in the rain and since he had completed close to the last mile in drizzle they awarded him the final 5 laps. Once again he was the grand prize winner.

Now we're breathlessly getting ready . . . birthday festivities here we come . . .

Sending out to all our family and friends with birthdays in November one huge and heartfelt hug and wishes for some fantastic fun on your birthday!

All our love,

Sara, Nye and Archil



No comments:

Post a Comment