Thursday, June 23, 2011

Giving Thanks!

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

                - Dalai Lama

 







A Day of Giving Thanks

I guess all times of year are good times to give thanks, but today is one day that I like to try to remember all the things that I'm thankful for.  There are so many not the least of which are my family and friends who all have such a wonderful passion for life.  The last year or so have had some serious ups and downs and through those you all have always been there for us and for each other.  Thanks!

 Long Pauses

You may be asking "What took you so long to get around to posting?"  We'll I guess I've been a bit busy and too tired at the end of the day to write. (I think all those colleges students can probably relate to that sense of crunch time at the end of a term.) Most of this year has felt a bit like crunch time.  Unfortunately, exhibition installation and post installation follow up often feels like finals.  Lots of headaches, but they're worth it when I get to see how children and families respond to the exhibitions.  Finally things are calming down and I'm hoping that I have the energy to write more often.  Arch spent most of the summer in NY and now he's getting ready to go back again for another 5-6 weeks.  We've also been busy with the yard work and are finally getting close to finishing our first phase of that.  More on that below.




Yard Crashing

One of the things that has been giving us a lot of satisfaction at home is working on the yard. I know I've written of the work that Archil has put into the rock garden. He's adopted so many wonderful succulents and they've rewarded him by taking root and growing. But in addition to the rock garden we've added a number of other beds with native flowering plants. We've got a whole range of drought tolerant plants along the side of the house ranging from the native Lilac to a low growing native fushia. Recently we added a couple of beds to the front yard including native ferns, Sticky Monkey Flower, and Coral Bells.

We've had many wonderful flowering plants this spring in the back. Many are a bit dwarfed by the once in a lifetime flowering of our neighbor's Agave. I have to say that is one crazy organism that flowers just once in a life time and sends a blossom cluster some 20+ feet in the air. Loads of drama as we wait week after week for it to unfurl. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end but while we wait the smallest of plants is putting out the most wonderful of flowers. Our tiny pin cushion sized cactus has put forth not one but two giant pink blooms.

We've installed a small solar fountain in our pond and I've made space for our hammock under the fruit trees. The birds and insects seem to enjoy the access to the water. We now have some lovely little "zones" to hang out.  We're working on plans for a fence which will add some much needed privacy to our much improved back yard.

It is hard to believe when I think about it how just over a year ago this was a huge patch of weeds. Now we have strawberries, raspberries, blackberries all growing wonderfully. The fruit trees are much happier now that they've been pruned. The one diseased trees is gone. Native plants are in bloom pretty much all year long. And we have melons, tomatoes, garlic, artichokes and cucumbers growing in our small garden patches.


The Miracle of Go Away Green

Perhaps the biggest miracle of all is the shack. Don't get me wrong, it is still a total tear down! But it has undergone a rather nice transformation. And it is kinda a funny story . . .


It started with the purchase of some second hand trellis. As we considered how to position those near our wine barrel planters I was harping on the bit of unpainted wood up at the roof line. Archil offered (okay I nagged until he offered) to paint it that very evening. Unfortunately, instead of using the yellow paint he used glue. Hmmm! Imagine my surprise when I came outside in the morning in looking at the shack which is now sporting a sickly yellow, brown coating,
yuck! Fortunately, I had been reading a novel in which the topic of Disney's buildings were discussed and the color they use in painting them is termed "go away green." I just loved the idea of applying that same logic to the shack. Now it is sporting a brand new coat of green.  It is such a huge improvement to the back yard space that it I'm so thankful for the original mistake which precipitated the transformation.  Very funny!


Winter Rains

Those leaves that do turn are really beautiful now.  They will all fall almost as one in the beginning of December.  Fall and winter means rain and since we love our plants we're thrilled by seeing them respond to all the water.  (San Jose residents bundle up in warm coats and hats when a simple fleece or raincoat would do for almost any one from back east.)  So for us a rainy day is just one more thing to give thanks for. 


Wishing all of you the very best as you toast all the reasons you have for being thankful!


Love,
Sara, Archil, and Nye




Nye "performing" at one of San Jose's art opening
in the shadow theater Art Ark. (Nye is on the left.)

No comments:

Post a Comment